Water: The Friend AND The Enemy
Water is essential for our everyday needs. It’s very important and we literally couldn’t survive without it. It’s the basis of so many day to day activities. For example, hand washing, showering, cooking, drinking, swimming, watering the plants and many more.
In fact, water covers around 70% of our beautiful planet. 96% of that is represented by oceans. It’s amazing how this simple chemical substance – H2O – is such a big deal in creating and sustaining life. On the other side, water can provoke natural disasters. One of the most important elements in our survival can cause the exact opposite effect: complete destruction. Through time, there have always been unfortunate events caused by hurricanes, tsunamis, cyclones, floods, and stormy rains.
What Causes Water Damage?
We can say that water is very powerful – dare we say, most powerful. And such power can both do good and bad. So how can water be life-sustaining and be able to completely destroy? It’s easy – some objects and materials are simply not water compatible. Exposing plaster, concrete, wood, iron, fabrics to humidity a longer period of time can cause complete damage. For example, it can flood your basement, ruining everything in its way. While it cannot stop a flood, the best air purifier for basement can keep humidity and all the damage it can cause away.
Here are some causes and effects of it:
1. Leaky dishwashers
2. Broken pipes
3. Overflowing washing machines
4. Roof leaks
5. Foundation cracks
6. Leaky windows and doors
7. Poor exterior siding
8. Faulty gutters
10. Sump pump failure
Did You Know?
There are 3 categories of water.
- Non-contaminated. This means that the water is clean and is not harmful to you. The source it came from was clean and it shouldn’t present a threat. In spite of that, if it contacts any contaminated materials, it’s quality will be affected.
- Significantly contaminated. The water presents some risk to you if you ingest or use it. The microorganisms that are present in this type of water have harmful potential.
- Highly contaminated. This category of water is very dangerous and it should be avoided. The source of this water is contaminated with high-risk factor agents. It’s definitely toxic because of the pathogens in it.
The excess of water creates the possibility of mold formation into your home. Mold or mildew is a species of fungus. It is commonly seen on ceiling corners or expired food. It normally has a green color, or in extreme cases, black. Unfortunately, our health can be heavily affected by it.
Scientists proved that mold has a negative influence on health. Mold in the home usually develops in damp, dark or steamy areas. For example, the bathrooms or kitchens. In addition to that, it also appears in cluttered storage areas, recently flooded areas, basement areas or plumbing spaces. Moreover, it develops in areas with poor ventilation and outdoors in humid environments. In consequence, the humidity that infiltrates into the foundation, roof or walls of your house favors the growth of mold.
That makes it almost impossible to eliminate it. You can track the evolution of your health very easily. Just pay attention to your body and notice if there are any unusual changes. Mold usually causes the following symptoms: allergy, watery, itchy eyes, a chronic cough, headaches or migraines. Also pay attention to difficulty breathing, rashes, tiredness, sinus problems, nasal blockage, and frequent sneezing.
Mold Removing Solutions:
- Dehumidifier – it reduces the humidity level and the potential growth of fungi. To clarify, the warmer, moist air enters the dehumidifier. It then crosses refrigerant cooled coils. Further, it causes the moisture in the air to condense on coils within the machine.
- Mold and Mildew remover – there is the gel or the spray version. Therefore, you can use the mold remover for different types of surfaces, indoors as well as outdoors.
- DIY Mold Remover – Mix 1 part bleach and 10 parts warm water. Put it in a spray bottle or just dip the sponge in the solution. Apply on the affected area.
- Let the specialists handle it. There are companies that specialize in water and fire damage restoration, and they often provide services like mold removal. If you live in Grosse Ile or you have an office there and need help with water damage in Downriver, Michigan, Downriver Restoration can help you.
In addition, you can take some preventive actions to stay on top of the situation:
- Verify the basement periodically to check if there is any infiltrated water. Pay attention to the objects and furniture, too.
- Test your sump pump if you have one. It’s not difficult to check if your sump pump works, just pour water into it and notice how it flows.
- The main water damage cause in a household is pipe leakage. Check your pipes or have a specialist check it for you.
- Always maintain the gutters clean.
- If you notice any faulty in the washing machine or dishwasher water evacuation, take immediate action. Contact a plumbing specialist.
- In addition, the roof is also very important. When the roof is damaged, water flows through it, ultimately leaking down the walls.
- Before you leave the house, simply check if all the windows and doors are closed. In case of rainy weather, closed doors and windows prevent water from coming in.
Procedures In Case of Water Damage
A specialist can properly take action and help you. They will inspect the area with water sensing equipment and determine the damage and possible extent of the area affected. They will also dry, deodorize and sanitize any contaminated areas and materials. In addition, the restoration company will leave water damage equipment in your home.
Air movers, air scrubbers, dehumidifiers, wood floor drying systems, and sub-floor drying equipment will be in your house to act on repairing the damage. Drying vendors should return at regular time intervals, preferably every twenty-four hours. This is to monitor the equipment, temperature, humidity, and moisture content of the affected walls and contents. In conclusion, these procedures are very important.
They prevent any long term damage and will help you to feel comfortable at home with your family. It’s time to enjoy and relax. Do not let the damage take control of your environment.